44-year-old student makes Southern residence halls home

Mike Pittman, sophomore psychology major, feeds fish in his Blaine Hall room. Pittman is 44 years old and plans to attend graduate school.

Students living in Blaine Hall weren’t sure what to think about Mike Pittman during the first few weeks of class.

Was he a faculty member wandering the halls – a student’s father?

He was neither.

But he is, however, 44 years old and a resident of Blaine Hall.

“It was a hassle to get an apartment, and so I thought about living in the dorms,” Pittman said.

On the first move-in day of the fall semester, Pittman moved into a private room along with a hamster, gerbil and 14 fish. It took a few days of adjustment for Pittman to adjust to cramped quarters and an adolescent vibe. Odd looks were consistent, too.

“If I were a 20-year-old kid, I think it would be kind of strange, too,” Pittman said.

Pittman dropped out of high school when he was a sophomore and joined the Navy. After six years of service, he spent the next 15 years cutting and shaping stone in the family monument business. Divorced, and never having had children, Pittman knew it was time to hit the books once again. He wanted to attend college, but he wanted to experience it as well.

“I thought I’d give the dorms a shot,” he said.

The scenery isn’t attractive for Pittman. The housing units are a little smaller than he would have liked. The no-animal policy was a challenge seeing how he had two furry creatures keeping him company.

“I got written up for the animals,” he said with a smile. “I thought that was a little strange.”

Although residence hall officials allowed him to keep the 29-gallon tank for his fish, he was forced to find alternative homes for the two pets.

Josh Doak, resident director of Blaine Hall, sees Pittman on a regular basis.

“He’s just like another college student,” Doak said. “He’s exceptionally friendly.”

Doak said other Blaine Hall residents have treated Pittman like a regular. There have been a few questions, however.

“A lot of people wondered if he was a student,” Doak said. But I think they enjoy seeing change.”

While Pittman is one of many non-traditional students on campus, Doak said he thinks Pittman’s attempt to go back to school and live in the residence halls is a great idea.

“I think it’s neat what he’s doing,” Doak said. “I admire him.”

Pittman said he doesn’t understand why people are shocked to find a 44-year-old man living in the residence halls. He’s dedicated just as many Southern students are. He hopes to pursue graduate school as well.

“I guess I’m just a late bloomer,” he said.

Pittman said he holds no regrets for his big move to the residence halls. Everything has worked out for the best.

“Getting to meet new people is the best part,” he said.

As the buzz about a man in his 40s being in the residence halls has died down and friendships have formed, Pittman has finally been able to concentrate on his education.

A standard that holds true to his heart.

“A lot of people have family that fulfill life, but education is what does it for me,” he said. “I never want to leave school.”

While the location is convenient and the cost of living is OK, it’s always been the food plan that’s kept Pittman happy.

“I’ve had to cook for myself the last 20 years,” he said. “And, I really don’t like my cooking.”