Officials look to honor faculty

Dr. Kexi Liu, Associate Professor of Music

It’s that time of year again when students and faculty can honor a deserving instructor.

The Missouri Southern academic affairs office has distributed applications for this year’s Outstanding Teacher Awards for the 2003-2004 academic year. The winners will be announced at the May commencement ceremony.

“There’s always a good number of nominations that come in,” said Julie Vestal, secretary for the vice president for academic affairs.

On average, the office receives about 35-50 instructor nominations. The department holds two separate distributions in the fall and spring. The fall distribution is held so students graduating in December are eligible to nominate an instructor.

“We usually see more response in the spring,” Vestal said.

The Missouri Southern Foundation provides the funds to finance the annual award honors, which began in 1980. Two winners will take home honors, as well as a $1,000 cash prize.

To be eligible, faculty must be full-time, be teaching at least six credit hours a semester and have completed three years of employment at the University. Nominations may be completed by students, faculty and alumni.

Winners are selected through a six-person committee, which is made up of past recipients.

Forms should be completed and returned in a sealed envelope by Dec. 12 to Hearnes Hall, Room 200.

Dr. Kexi Liu, associate music professor, received the honor last year.

“It was a big honor for me,” Liu said. “It’s encouragement from students, the University and the administration.”

Liu has taught at Southern for 13 years. Although he was surprised to receive the honor, he said he might have received the honor due to his commitment to students.

“I’m always prepared for class, and I try to communicate with students who need extra help,” Liu said.