Missouri Dental Association donates money, smiles to Southern

The Missouri Dental Association improves smiles every day.

At the Nov. 21 Board of Governors meeting the association made Missouri Southern smile.

Dr. Charles McGinty, president of the Board of Governors and a Joplin dentist, presented University President Julio León with the first of two checks for $12,500. The second check, also for $12,500, is planned to be presented in January.

“I can’t say enough about Missouri Southern for their forward thinking, especially in the field of distance learning,” McGinty said.

The donation is to enhance the dental hygiene program. There is a statewide shortage of dental hygienists. Southern’s program is highly sought after, often receiving more than one hundred applicants.

“There is also a shortage of people with the credentials necessary to teach dental hygiene,” said Dr. Betsy Griffin, interim vice president for academic affairs.

In other news:

* Sprinturf is putting the finishing touches on the new football turf.

Beynon Sports Surfaces, the company contracted to resurface the track, had planned on beginning the process this semester, however due to inclement weather the project has to be done during the spring 2004 semester.

“All the prep work has been done on our side,” said Bob Harrington director of the physical plant. “We are just waiting for them to put down the track surface.”

* Student representative Stacey Allen thanked the administration for addressing the Student Senate Nov. 19. León, Dr. Jack Spurlin, vice president for lifelong learning; and Griffin spent an hour answering senators’ questions and concerns.

“We were met with thoughtful and interesting questions by the senators,” León said.

“They have committed some of their own revenues to improve the campus and have taken the initiative to investigate the possibility of an electric sign this year.”

* Governors were updated on the search for a vice president for academic affairs. The search committee plans to bring candidates to campus in the spring.

* The head football coach committee is screening applicants and has a goal to appoint a new coach in mid-December. There were 60 applicants for the position.

* New business included the academics policies committee seeking Board approval for a new major and new minors as well as reinstatement of a bachelor of science in education in chemistry and physical science.

New minors include sustainability, public relations and crime scene investigation.

The new major is for a bachelor of science in biochemistry. The programs were approved by the board and now await approval by the Coordinating Board of Higher Education.