Campus security undergoes internal face lift

Paige Christenson, junior undecided major, attempts to get out of a traffic ticket from Craig Richardson, security officer. Christenson parked illegally in front of Billingsly Student Center.

As of Oct. 13, the safety and security department was no more.

Ken Kennedy, manager of the then safety and security department, wanted to make some changes in Missouri Southern’s security. The changes were approved Oct. 13, and the new MSSU Department of Public Safety was created. Along with the new change, came other upgrades to the department.

“It reflects additional responsibilities,” Kennedy said.

With the start of the revamped department, the duties and responsibilities of the officers were also changed. Now, officers have been given training in CPR and basic first aid.

Now, officers can act as first responders in cases of injury or serious illnesses. Kennedy said up until this year, the officers were not trained in those areas.

“They have got the training now,” he said.

Since the change, the department has also added two automatic external defibrillators. The AEDs are units that can be used to start up someone’s heart after it has stopped beating. Kennedy said the machine could greatly improve a person’s chances of living after heart failure. All the officers have been trained in the use of the machine, but Kennedy said they are self-explanatory.

“It’s almost so simple anyone can use it,” he said.

One AED will be kept in the main truck used by Public Safety and the other will be kept in the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center. The first AED was purchased through a grant by Mercy Regional Health Foundation and the second by two donations from the Joy Spiva-Cragin Charitable Trust Fund.

The machines cost around $3,000. The department put an AED in the athletic center because that is where most people congregate for events.

“We’re not just concerned about students and faculty and staff,” Kennedy said.

Terry Hylton, office manager, said the upgrades in the department have been a benefit to the University. He thinks that even though the officers have more responsibilities on their shoulders, they like the change.

“They know it’s worthwhile,” he said.

One student feels the same way.

Richard Needham, sophomore elementary education major, said he appreciate the changes in the department. He is glad the department can do more.

“Before, they didn’t have these responsibilities so they didn’t know what to do,” Needham said. “Now they don’t have to call in outside help or anything as much.”

The changes were implemented because Kennedy wanted to have the department on the same level as other universities.

Also changed were the prices of traffic tickets. Kennedy said these were changed because they had not been changed in more than five years. He said they are still low in comparison to other institutions.

“They were very small increases,” he said. “They are still substantially below what most other universities are.”

Other possible changes in the future of the department are to make it an actual law enforcement body. Kennedy said that is still being worked on though, and he does not know when it will happen.

“Those things are still down the road a ways,” he said.

Correction: The photo cutline for the security story of the Nov. 14 issue should have read: “Paige Christiansen, senior criminal justice major, asks Craig Richardson about the security office’s appeal process due to a ticket she received after being given permission by Richardson to park in a particular spot on campus.”