Investigator audits international compliance

Stephanie Goad, International Student Adviser

Missouri Southern international students were under investigation the first week of December.

On Dec. 2, an investigator hired by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services visited the campus to check for compliance with admissions and tracking guidelines.

“He (the investigator) was very pleased with everything he saw,” said Brenda Blalock, international admissions coordinator.

The investigator randomly selected nine international students’ files and checked to see if their files were up to date and in compliance with federal law.

In October 2001, Congress passed the Patriot Act, which updated the federal government’s Student Exchange Visitor Information System. After Southern admits an international student, the Internet-based SEVIS is notified, and USCIS approves the request.

By law, the University is required to provide regular electronic reports to USCIS throughout the student’s academic career.

The number of credit hours the international student is taking each semester, where he or she is working and whether or not the student drops below a full course of study without prior authorization are just a few items Southern must document in the SEVIS program.

The investigator checked for compliance.

“We knew they would be doing the audits,” said Stephanie Goad, international student adviser and exchange program coordinator.

USCIS gave Southern officials a week’s notice to prepare.

Goad used the time to look over records.

“I wanted to make sure everything was in order,” she said.

The investigator asked several questions regarding regulations, procedures and reviewed nine student files.

“He told us we did great,” Goad said.

The investigator will submit his findings to USCIS officials in Washington, D.C., and a written approval to continue having international students on campus will be issued to Southern.

Dr. Betsy Griffin, interim vice president for academic affairs, oversaw the student audit.

“I think it went well,” she said. “We were able to answer all of his questions.”

Griffin said she was happy to see Southern do well in the meeting with the investigator.

“We wanted to make sure we were up to speed,” Griffin said.

With the passing of the Patriot Act, Southern can expect future audits every couple of years.

“It’s a team effort,” Goad said.

She said she and everyone else involved with international students on campus will be ready.