MSSC remnants still exist in bookstore, on vehicles

While some of us like the new “U,” others are still nostalgic for the old college look.

Greg Needham, bookstore manager, said there are few “MSSC” clothing articles left because students are still interested in the old look.

“A lot of people are also buying the heavy frosted mugs for collector’s items,” he said.

Needham said he believes the students are starting to realize Missouri Southern is no longer a college but a university so they are purchasing the old items for keepsakes.

The bookstore still has a variety of college mugs, a few pocketknives and college pennants left behind.

Alexis Mallory, sophomore speech communications major, said the MSSC items should be given away at athletic events to promote school spirit. She also thinks the prices should be dropped more than what they have been.

Mallory said it is like walking into a clothing store that is clearing its floor for the upcoming season. The old season’s clothing is marked down by at least 60 percent because the store is bringing in new items of clothing.

“The bookstore should think of it as a new season, with new items,” she said.

Needham said he plans to drop the prices if sales decline, but it depends solely on the item. The bookstore still has a number of MSSC decals in stock, and he said those items would probably never sell regardless of the price.

“It’s weird but the heavy frosted mugs are selling well, so more than likely the prices won’t be dropped,” Needham said.

“When the university items began arriving, room was made because these are the items that people want.”

“The greatest challenge for me isn’t selling the old items, but getting the new items people want.”

For those who like the new university look, there are several styles and colors available in the bookstore as well as the college items.

Making the transition from MSSC to MSSU has affected many, including the campus’s physical plant.

Bob Harrington, director of the physical plant, said the security vehicles and the vans have been changed to Missouri Southern State University, and the security vehicles now read, Department of Public Safety instead of Missouri Southern Safety and Security.

Harrington said he has no plans to change the blue trucks because most of them are in bad condition.

“Before putting the new name on the old blue trucks, they would have to be sanded down and re-painted, and it’s just not worth it,” he said

Harrington said it was inexpensive and took little time to change the other trucks because they used vinyl lettering.

“It was about $20 per truck,” he said.