Carnahan receives KA Crystal Award

Doug Carnahan was caught off guard last week.

Carnahan, dean of students, was honored by The Joplin Area Alumni Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Order, Jan. 31.

“I was pretty surprised,” Carnahan said.

Locally, he was given a Crystal Excellence Award, which honors lifetime achievement in leadership. A representative of Kappa Alpha honored Carnahan with a national recognition award as well.

Carnahan, a past adviser to the Southern fraternity, has spoken at the Chapter’s annual receptions several times. This time, however, he

was the one being honored.

“It’s always nice to be recognized,” Carnahan said. “It’s nice to be appreciated.”

When Carnahan came to Southern in the late 1970s, he spent a great deal of time helping the organization get off the ground. It wasn’t an easy-going process, however.

“It’s survival on a commuter campus,” he said. “It’s tough to devote time to a fraternity.”

Kappa Alpha is one of four Greek organizations on campus.

“It’s a social outlet for many people,” he said.

Bob Kelly, president of Kappa Alpha, said Carnahan deserved the recognition.

“People, like Doug, who take the time to promote Greek life on campus, are the exception to the rule,” Kelly said. “That’s why he received the award.”

Kelly said the local chapter at Southern nearly folded in 1995.

“Doug did everything he could to keep it from going down,” Kelly said.

Kelly met Carnahan in 1978 as an undergraduate. The two have maintained a friendship over the years.

“I wanted to maintain a good relationship with the dean,” Kelly said.

Kelly immediately saw the effort Carnahan had to help the student life for Southern.

“Doug has done everything he can to help boost student life on campus,” he said.

Past winners of the national organization have come from Auburn University and the University of Miami.

Carnahan wasn’t the only Southern faculty member to be honored at the fraternal celebration.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, received the Kappa Alpha Rose. She too wasn’t expecting an award. The award goes to a woman who works to improve the organization.

“It’s nice to be recognized,” Blackford said. “It was a really nice banquet.”

Blackford said she was happy to receive the award, but acknowledged she is simply following her job description.

“It’s my job to help them (Greek organizations),” she said.