Job expo presents options

Cap and gown orders are in, and announcements are on their way as Missouri Southern seniors gear up for graduation.

Among the excitement, students make decisions about what to do post-commencement.

To assist in transition, the University’s career services department is in full-swing with plans for students to help prepare for their upcoming job search. The itinerary for the next few months includes hosting on-campus interviews, an Education Job Fair, a mock interview day, the Spring Job Expo Wednesday and a Résumé-O-Rama event scheduled for Friday, Monday and Tuesday to help students prepare and critique their résumés.

Patricia Hurley, director of career services, aims to help provide information and support for students entering the job market.

“We make sure we are available, to be ready to help them,” Hurley said.

She recommends students attend the Spring Job Expo and come prepared to meet with prospective employers.

“Start early, dress professionally, if you’re looking for a full-time job; for internships, a casual business dress is expected, and bring a résumé,” she said.

Hurley said students often make a common mistake when interviewing.

“Research the company so it can be an exchange of information to evaluate the match,” she said.

Additional services available through career services include: keeping graduate credentials on file for prospective employers recruiting from the University and the Southern Job Network, a forum for students and faculty to post their résumés for employers to view.

While most students will be entering the job market, others seek to postpone the job search and continue their education.

Marie-Pierre Astry, senior international business major, has post-graduate plans.

“In France, all of us get a B.S.” Astry said. “It’s really common there. So, to be competitive, people from a public school usually get a master’s.”

However, Astry does seem satisfied with her work at Southern.

“I am pretty proud of this,” she said. “I feel good about what I’ve done here. My professors say that being at Southern is a good thing.”

Astry is not alone. The number of students choosing to attend a graduate program is on the rise.

Angela Wilson, graduate recruiter for the University of Arkansas, said the competition is tough among candidates.

“The law school saw an increase of applicants of about 50-60 percent over last year,” Wilson said. “We want students to think about why they want to go to graduate school. Not being able to find a job is not a good enough reason.”

Wilson will be attending the Spring Job Expo on Wednesday and speaking to students about their qualifications to help them determine if graduate school is a viable option.