Close relationship makes royalty win special

Derick White and Ashley Cox won the honor of Homecoming king and queen. the pair couln´t believe it when they heard the announcement.

Lights flash throughout the stadium and clapping precedes them as they enter the field. The excitement has been running wild for weeks now. Suddenly all the work seems worth it, especially for Missouri Southern’s new king and queen.

This year, Southern students elected Derick White, senior history education major, and Ashley Cox, junior dental hygiene major, as their new Homecoming king and queen.

When they found out they had won, the two couldn’t believe it.

“It was a surreal moment,” Cox said.

“I was surprised,” White said. “I was glad we got it together.”

The two have had a close relationship as far as friends go.

Working as Freshman Orientation leaders, they have has a unique opportunity to be able to get to know one another.

“[Derick] is someone everyone is comfortable with,” Cox said, “He won’t ask you to do something he wouldn’t do himself. He’s one of those good friends you always look for.”

White and Cox have known each other for three years. They play intramural sand volleyball together and share a love for Jesus.

Cox went on a mission trip to Peru a few years back, and White has been able to go on a mission trip to Wyoming.

“We work well as a team,” White said. “Ashley keeps it [Freshman Orientation] structured.”

“And Derick keeps it fun,” Cox said.

Although neither one has much free time in between school and work, they spend their time doing what they love.

White is a first-year baseball player for the Lions, as a catcher, and he also coaches women’s volleyball for Carl Junction High School. But he has two favorite pastimes that don’t include school or even work.

“Sleeping and eating Chinese food are my two loves,” White said.

Cox is a staff assistant for Southern’s apartment buildings and said her family is essential to her.

Cox and White competed against 12 women and nine men for the position of Homecoming royalty and wanted to tell everyone they were grateful to the people who voted for them and also to the people who gave up their time to help them campaign for queen and king.

They were crowned at the Homecoming picnic Sept. 24 and recognized at the Sept. 25 football game.

They were also wanting to say thanks to those who showed up to support them when they were announced as the winners Sept. 24.

“We wouldn’t have won without them,” White said.