Department splits, seeking accreditation

Opportunities and challenges both arise as the foreign language department pursues its own accreditation.

Recently, the foreign language department split from the communication department because the two departments together were too large and the foreign language department wanted to seek new directives and set specific goals for the international mission.

Dr. Pedro Talavera-Ibarra, head of foreign language department, said the split was a positive move because the department will have a chance to make their own decisions and take responsibilities for its own actions.

“To a certain degree, I felt like we [the foreign language department] have been limited since we have been with the communication department,” Talavera-Ibarra said.

“Now that we have separated, we are seeking our own accreditation.”

He also said he would like to see some foreign language graduate programs.

“Having the departments separate gives them a chance to move towards building a stronger department for those pursuing a degree in foreign language.” said Alexis Malory, sophomore speech communication major.

Joshua Wardlow, senior middle school education and Spanish major, agreed said the split was a great move because the department will now have a chance to offer graduate programs when they become available.

The department offers three majors and six minors in six different languages. Currently, the goal of the foreign language department is to increase its enrollments, offer more foreign languages and work on the academic program.

“Despite the challenges we face, there are several opportunities that will come our way,” Talavera-Ibarra said.

The separation of the two departments took place over the summer. Many see it as a great opportunity for the foreign language department to move forward with their mission that they provide to Missouri Southern State University.

Dr. John Messick, dean of arts and sciences, said they have been planning the separation for a long time and it has now come to pass.

“I think it’s a sound idea to have the two departments separate because the foreign language department is so important to our international mission,” Messick said.

Now that the departments are separate he said it would give the foreign language department the recognition it deserves.

Leslie Parker, instructor of Spanish, said it is good to have the two departments split because it helps the department show perspective students that foreign language is an important department on campus. Without the separation, many students may not have known where to find them.

“We can’t see the separation results now but I am sure they will be great,” Talavera-Ibarra said.