Pride prize rises, will be awarded

the Lion Pride Pay Out pot has risen to $1,500 since the first and only winner won in the fall.

One cash prize increases as the Lion Pride Payout winds down.

With less than a month left, the Zimmer Radio Lion Pride Payout continues. The cash prize, set at $1,400, will be up for the taking Saturday at the game against Washburn University.

“We’ll draw one name from every full-time student,” said Kevin Greim, marketing and broadcasting director. “We select one name at random for each home football or basketball date we have.”

The student would then have three minutes to claim his or her prize. During a basketball game, the time is one minute to claim the prize. If the student is not there to claim the prize, then the money is rolled over to the next game increasing the prize amount in increments of $100.

“If no one wins the money, then at the last game of the semester, which is Feb. 26, then the pot will $1,800 and we’ll give the money away,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

Since the start of the football season, Zimmer has sponsored the Lion Pride Payout.

“[At the] last game we are definitely, whatever amount of money it is, we are definitely giving it away that night,” Greim said.

On the final game of the season, the names will only be drawn from students that are actually in attendance at the game.

This will mean that the number of names is smaller, and the prize will be given away on that night.

“The money is not going to go away,” Blackford said. “Someone is going to win it on Feb. 26.”

The purpose of the Lion Pride Payout was to increase the attendance at the home games. The exact numbers on attendance are not available since Missouri Southern does not keep those types of records.

The success of the Lion Pride Payout can be judged by the attendance of the games and the Southern athletic department.

“I know they’ve noticed a larger crowd and I’ve heard students talking about it,” Blackford said. “So I think it’s been a really good thing.”