Clubs helps manage credit

Laura Dean, senior finance major left), offers assistance to Ceilia Sheridan, freshman undecided major, Feb. 22.

Many students may have trouble managing their money or don’t know all they need to know about credit cards.

Give Yourself Some Credit is a student-to-student debt and financial management program sponsored by the Investment Club.

The program begins at 9 a.m. Friday in Matthews Hall Room 204.

“The program will go on indefinitely,” said Laura Dean, senior finance major and Investment Club treasurer.

“Its purpose is to let students learn about credit cards and debt management.”

The hours will be Mondays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesdays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon.

It will answer questions such as: What is a credit score? How can I spend less money? And where can I get help paying off debt?

The service is free for all students.

The program is staffed by Investment and Finance Club members who have received training from Consumer Credit Counseling Service.

Walk-ins are welcome. Anyone interested may e-mail the program to set up an appointment at [email protected].

Several students had good opinions of the program, while some had not heard of it.

“I think it’s great the staff gets together to help out the students in that way,” said Lois Greenstreet, senior elementary education major.

Others agreed even though they had only received an e-mail notification about the program.

“I hadn’t heard about it,” said Matt Moreland freshman criminal justice major. “I got a memo in my e-mail, but it’s helpful.”

Others agreed with this sentiment.

“I haven’t looked at the e-mail,” said Matt Brusca freshman music education major. “I think it would be a pretty good thing,”

There is one motto the students may take into account.

The program directors said confidentiality is their No. 1 Priority.