RBIs, home runs lead to baseball victory

Junior first baseman Jeff Taylor tags out Jeremy Van Heel of Mount Marty (South Dakota) College Lancers at first base during the March 9 game. The Lions won the game 14-3.

Although the Larry Hickey Classic was plagued with low attendance for the majority of the games, it didn’t stop Missouri Southern’s baseball team from winning several games.

The tournament started on March 5, when the Lions competed in a double-header against the Grand View College Vikings.

In the Joe Becker Stadium, Southern swept the game when they won 13-1.

The scoring started in the fourth inning as GVC scored their only run for the game. Southern pulled through when they scored four runs of their own.

The Lions would finish their opponents off as they scored four more runs in the sixth inning. In the final inning, GVC would have no hits.

In the second game against the Vikings, Brett Velliquette, sophomore second baseman, would be the first player home after Brett Newsome, freshman first baseman, doubled down the left field line.

The Lions would score the majority of their runs in the second inning.

It started when Brett Molden, senior shortstop, singled through the left side and completed the run when Luke Garber, junior catcher, singled up the middle.

Garber and Luke Lawver, sophomore second and third baseman, both scored the next two runs.

Newsome singled through the right side, enabling Trevor Whipkey, freshman left fielder, to run home for the fourth time of the inning.

Velliquette, Whipkey and Molden all scored two runs each for the game.

The game would end with a victory of 9-1 for the Lions.

On March 6, Southern played in their third consecutive game against GCV. However, this game ended with a one-run loss for the Lions.

The Vikings led at one time with as many as seven runs. But the Lions rallied back, scoring the majority of their runs in the sixth inning with four runs. In the seventh inning, Newsome hit a home run to right center which allowed Kyle Cupp, sophomore third baseman, to come home.

The game ended 8-9.

On March 7, the Southern Lions competed against Grand Valley State University in two consecutive games.

Although the Lions would fight hard, they would come away with two losses. The first game’s score was 8-3.

Game two went into the eighth inning.

In the third and seventh innings the two teams tied the score, but each time GVSU was able to pull away from Southern.

On March 9, the Lions fought against Mount Marty College and came away victorious, winning the game 14-3.

Southern started off the first inning strong as they landed five runs against MMC.

Molden scored four runs for the game.

In the fifth inning Molden homered to right field, sending Newsome and Velliquette to home plate. This inning also saw five runs.

The only innings the Lions didn’t score in were the sixth and seventh.

Southern will play next in the Mutt Miller Classic which runs March 12-18. Their first game will be at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, at Joe Becker Stadium against Morningside College.