Student journeys around world, plans return to England

Traveling around the world has become one adventure after another for one Missouri Southern student.

Lucy Galloway, freshman mass communication major, started traveling at the age of six months, even though now she has no memory of that experience.

Now, her travels have brought her the knowledge of many different places’ histories.

Galloway said her favorite place to visit is England.

“My family is from England, so I love to visit as much as I can,” she said. “But since airline tickets are expensive for a college student I don’t get over there as much as I like”

Galloway recently visited Oahu and experienced something she would never forget.

“The water was as blue as I have ever seen it,” Galloway said. “When we were landing on the runway, it was like we were landing in the middle of the ocean.”

For Galloway traveling does have its downsides.

“One bad thing about all my traveling is that I hate flying, and I always get my bags searched in the airport,” Galloway said. “I don’t know why. Maybe I look like a terrorist; who knows?”

Galloway said some memorable experiences are on the bright side of traveling.

“The funniest thing that ever happened to me is my cousin got her camera taken away because she took a picture in the airport,” she said.

Galloway’s main tip for any traveler is to not make eye contact with any security people.

Every time she has been searched, which she said has been every time she has traveled, she had made eye contact with security personnel.

During the summer, Galloway plans on visiting Costa Rica for a month to study biology, as a part of Southern’s study abroad program.

Then she will travel to England for three weeks and arrive back just in time for the fall semester.

“I just love traveling, it’s just a part of me,” she said. “I love going to different places and learning new things.”