New director brings ideas to Southern food services

This year Missouri Southern’s food service has a new face.

Since the second week of July, Munawar Ahmed has been the director of food services. Ahmed has many plans for the on-campus food system.

Ahmed wants his staff, as well as himself, to be available to the students.

“If the students are happy, I am happy,” he said.

He shows this by helping out in any way he can.

Not only is he willing to answer any student’s question, he also can be found serving food and busing tables on occasion.

Ahmed has many ideas to improve the food system. His most recent improvement is the spice market, located in the Lion’s Den. The spice market is a new variety of global foods.

From Chinese to Vietnamese, the spice market is a new way to enjoy fresh, healthy, and reasonably priced meals. The spice market opened Sept. 6.

The spice market is made-to-order so students need get there early to insure that there will be plenty of time to order.

The Student Life Center also is expecting some changes. The Route 66 is a new way to let students try foods from different parts of the United States.

Each week, a new food will be featured from a different state.

Furthermore, his plans for the future also consist of having a holiday meal for the students around the Christmas and Thanksgiving seasons.

The meal will include most of the traditional holiday foods.

Another new improvement will be lighter, healthier, foods consisting of fresh fruits around the spring break time.

These healthier foods will help students prepare themselves for their spring break vacations.

Ahmed has also made changes around the office.

For example, he has already hired a marketing manager, which is a current student at Southern. This is the first time there has been a student manager on the Southern campus.

Ahmed would also like to hire one more student manager so he will have someone on duty everyday of the week.

Ahmed hopes to improve the service as much as he can.

“I would like to bring the level of customer service as high as I can,” Ahmed said.