Language need brings new face to Southern

Beatrice Hasse-Dubuis is the new assistant professor of French and German.

Having the ability to speak French, German, English, Italian, Dutch and Latin, Missouri Southern’s newest French and German instructor, Beatrice Haase-Dubuis, was qualified for the job.

“We were looking for someone who could teach both French and German at all levels, and that was a challenge to find,” said Dr. Maryann Weber, professor of French. “We are very happy to have her with us.”

Dubuis, assistant professor of French and German, is active with the students and their activities.

“She is participating in all activities of both French and German clubs and I think she’ll be a great asset to the department,” Weber said.

Dubuis is a native French speaker. She grew up in Dijon, France. Leaving France just over six years ago with her husband, Claud, and their three children, the Dubuis family came to Arkansas. Dubuis moved here after her husband visited friends in America.

“I thought it would be a good opportunity for our kids to learn English,” Dubuis said.

While in the United States, she earned a master’s degree and is finishing her doctorate from the University of Arkansas. She got her under-graduate degree in Dijon, specializing in German.

Dubuis hasn’t returned to France since she and her family left six years ago. She left behind a mother and a half-sister. She would like to return soon, but is having to save for the trip.

When she goes to France, Dubuis would like to stay for at least a month. She is anticipating it to cost at least $10,000, because she would like to take her children for the visit.

“They haven’t been there near enough,” she said.

Her children have been raised in a multi-cultural home. Dubuis said she tries to blend with American traditions most of the time.

However, there are some French traditions on which she won’t compromise.

“I will never cook like the Americans,” Dubuis said.

She said she always serves French food at home, and her children enjoy it.

“They compliment me like crazy,” Dubuis said.

One American tradition that she has adopted is the use of the cup holders in the car.

The French don’t have cup holders installed in vehicles, she said.

“You don’t drink and drive – you drive,” Dubuis said.

While she and her family have lived in the United States for six years, they are still French citizens.

Dubuis thinks of herself as born in France, raised in French culture, but fond of America and Americans.

Although Dubuis made the trip to the United States as an adult, she didn’t do a lot of traveling when she was younger, which is her biggest regret. Her advice is to have an open mind and travel while still young and unattached.

“Travel and be free everywhere,” Dubuis said.

In spite of the fact that she didn’t travel much when she was younger, she is happy to be taking advantage of the opportunity to do so now.

“I’m always ready for an adventure,” she said. “It’s my state of mind.”