Messiah comes in time for holidays

It is described as Handel’s “greatest work” and it is coming to Missouri Southern to celebrate the holiday season.

On Tuesday, Southern’s choir and orchestra will perform the Messiah.

“The Messiah is a cantata,” said Bud Clark, head of the music department and director for the Messiah. “The music is performed by the combined efforts of the MSSU’s choir and orchestra. The music in the program is very intense, dramatic and forceful. No doubt it is one of, if not, Handel’s greatest works.”

This production offers the audience several things.

“This is live music,” Clark said. “Not only is it a live performance, it is a live, free performance. If that is not enough, it is not everyday where you can see a show with a 200-voice choir. When all is said and done, we have had about 300 people involved in making this show possible.”

Orchestra members say there is much practice involved.

“The music we are playing is probably the hardest music we’re going to be playing all year,” said Jeff Smith, freshman business management major. “Its very difficult music with a lot of great harmonies and other things like that. Everyone has put in a lot of hard work to give the audience a good show.”

Clark said the students put hard work into their performance.

“Students practiced every Sunday through November for a period of two hours,” Clark said. “Students also went further by practicing at home in their spare time.”

Students are not the only ones putting in an effort to help with the production.

“Besides having just students help out with the performance, we also have members of the community helping out,” Smith said. “It’s a great experience to get everybody in the community together to do a recital. Even though this is the most difficult music we have all year, fortunately, we have a lot of experienced people in the community that know the music well, involving themselves in the program.”

The performers would like the audience members to know the production is worth their time.

“This isn’t your usual Christmas carol,” Smith said. “Come out to the show, you’ll like it.”

Clark agreed.

“This work is very famous,” Clark said. “Performing this famous work is MSSU’s gift to the community.”