BANNER software renamed LIONET

(Left to right) Tara Lopez, senior nursing major; Steven Smith, Southern news bureau manager; Julie Wengert, athletics compliance coordinator; and Kexi Liu, associate professor of music, recognized for their efforts in the software naming contest.

On March 2, the new name for the SunGuard SCT Banner administrative software and contest winner were announced in a ceremony in the Lion’s Den in the Billingsly Student Center.

Tara Lopez, senior nursing major, submitted the winning entry, LIONET, which stands for Linked Information on Network Enterprise Technology.

“I just came up with that,” Lopez said. “I figured they would like something with ‘lion’ in it.”

Lopez said she received an e-mail about the contest and decided to enter.

For having the winning entry, Lopez received a gift bag with a sweatshirt, lea, mug, candy and a mouse pad.

Dr. Kexi Liu, associate professor of music, was the runner-up in the contest with an entry close to the winner’s. His entry was Lion Net as two words.

Other entries which were recognized at the

ceremony were MOSO – Missouri’s Oracle System Online – by Becky Coon, freshman nursing major, and MOSO – Operating System Online – by Kurt Ummel, junior biology major.

Steven Smith, news bureau manager, submitted PAWS – Project Access-Ware System or Project Access WAN (Wide Area Network) System.

Julie Wengert, athletics compliance coordinator, entered The MANE – MSSU Administrative Network Enterprise.

More than 140 names for the software were submitted for the contest from more than 60 students, faculty and staff.

Sandi Gieson, software project manager, said naming the software creates awareness.

“It’s kind of like giving a brand name,” Gieson said.

The SunGuard SCT software links the departments and the individuals into a community. It will be Web and Oracle-based software.

This software will replace the existing mainframe system and will include admissions, financial aid, registrar’s, student support services, assessment, student accounts receivable, lifelong learning, foundation office, alumni office and financial aid and accounting areas. It will also include human resources, payroll, accounts payable, financial reporting and budget and planning.

“It’s an integrated network,” Gieson said.

Gieson said the process of implementing the software is ongoing until the end of 2007. She said the finance module will be online July 1, human resources in January 2007, student and financial aid in spring 2007 and alumni in December 2007.