Lion improve record to 4-2

Freshman Kasey Adams plays during the last home game.

Improving to second in the conference, the Missouri Southern tennis team competed against two MIAA rivals last week.

On April 18, Emporia State University hosted the Lions. Southern took the match 5-4.

Singles winners for Southern were Barb Gombosi, senior; Kristen Meschede, junior; Ashton Lawrence, sophomore; and Kasey Adams, freshman.

In doubles play, Gombosi and Michelle Hall, sophomore, took the Lions’ sole win, 9-7.

The Lions traveled to Kirksville on April 13 to play Truman State University. Southern won that one 5-4 as well.

Southern’s singles winners in that match were Hall, Gombosi and Adams. The Lions took two of the three doubles matches. The winning combos were Hall and Gombosi and Meschede and Kim McMunn, senior.

Before these match-ups, the Lions beat Evangel University 9-0 on April 8 in Springfield.

Southern is now 1-16 overall and 4-2 in the MIAA. The team is tied for second in the conference with Southwest Baptist University. Northwest Missouri State University is on top of the MIAA.

Fila Tennis Rankings have Hall ranked No. 6 in the region in singles. Gombosi is ranked No. 10 and Meschede is No. 12.

Hall and Gombosi rank second in North Central Region in the Fila poll.

The Lions will compete in the MIAA Tournament Saturday and Sunday in St. Jospeph.