Students receive awards in leadership

The Glenn Dolence Leadership Service Awards began with opening remarks from Stephanie Harter, Omicron Delta Kappa president, welcoming the guests, congratulating the honorees and explaining what leadership entails.

Hosted by Student Services and ODK, 26 Missouri Southern students were honored with the Dolence Award on April 25 for showing outstanding leadership and service on campus and in the community.

University President Julio León greeted the guests on behalf of the University before Dr. Glenn Dolence gave his congratulations speech, “Reflections on Leadership.”

Dolence retired from Southern in 1996 as vice president of student services after 27 years of dedication.

He has served as mayor of Webb City; he is active in the United Way and helped found the Golden Crest Circle of ODK at Southern.

Leslie Brown, ODK selection chair, and Tessa Woods, member of the ODK selection committee, announced students and read a short biography on each recipient, while Doug Carnahan, dean of students, and Dr. Michael Garoutte, ODK faculty adviser, shook their hands as the recipients received their awards.

Seniors Sarah Armstrong, radiology major; Cody Bond, psychology major; Susana Branum, Spanish and public relations major, Erin Bruton, special education major; Matthew Campbell, criminal justice administration major; Iashia Castle, accounting and management major; Morgan Cornshucker, early childhood education major; Ashley Cox, dental hygiene and health sciences major; Mary Daniel, Candice Dickinson, finance/economics and personal financial planning major, Grahm Dickinson, finance/economics and personal financial planning major; Erin English, physical education major; Kevin Ferdig, biology major; Caleb Gallemore, international studies major; T.J. Gerlach, mass communications major and senior editor of The Chart; Laura Goans, elementary education major; Daniel Horner, health promotion and wellness major; Anna Johnson, music education major; Ann Kelley, middle school education major; Katherine Kuhl, political science major; Terry Levy, criminal justice administration major; Jenny Peters, mathematics major; Cortney Tate, health promotion and wellness major; Daniel Todd, biology major; J.P. West, marketing major; and Derick White, social science education major, are the 2006 Dolence Award recipients.

This was the first time the event was held in the evening.

“I think changing the event to the evening is so much better than the past,” Dolence said.

He said the time change allowed parents and faculty to attend the event.

Harter also said she felt the time change was great idea, because it allowed León to attend.

Dolence also said he appreciative of the students’ work, and he is honored to have the award named after him.

Dolence said the first time he came to the award ceremony years ago, he didn’t know he was part of the program.

“I looked down at the program and my name was on it,” he said. “It was quite a surprise.”

“I think it was a lovely event,” said Dr. Elaine Freeman, ODK faculty secretary.

She said she was pleased Dolence and León were able to attend.

Garoutte said he had a “great time.”

“I think it went great,” he said.

Carnahan was awarded the first-ever Faculty Leadership Service Award by ODK.

“I am very honored,” he said.

Carnahan said it’s nice to be recognized since he does not get to interact with students as much as he would like.

Christy Phillips, student services, received flowers for her involvement with the ceremony and other campus activities.

“I love them [the flowers],” she said. “I was so surprised.”

Brown, senior criminal justice and accounting major, helped organize the event.

She was appreciative of the ODK students who helped organize the decorations, program printings, invitation printings, press involvement and the Leader of the Year award.

Johnson was awarded Leader of the Year.

“I am very surprised and honored,” she said. “I want to thank everyone who has encouraged me.”

She also extended her thanks to her parents who have helped her to succeed.

Candice Dickinson was honored by the merit of the award.

“Its nice to receive an award based on leadership and service, and not just solely in the academic realm,” she said.

Levy said he felt good.

“I didn’t know I was so appreciated,” he said.

Tate said it was great to see people putting others before themselves.

“I think it’s great to put others ahead of yourself,” she said.

She thought it was great there was an award to recognize those individuals.