Southern’s News Briefs

Coalition against child abuse sponsors series of events to raise awareness

As part of its “Spring into Action” campaign, the Student Coalition Against Child Abuse is sponsoring a series of events starting at 1 p.m. April 22 in Cunningham Park.

The events are open to everyone.

These events include a “Fun in the Park” experience with free food, games and childrens activities.

On April 28, the Coalition will be sponsoring a “Take a Night Off” on the Oval.

Members and staff associated with the organization will provide visitors with information about the organization and what it is doing for the community.

Faculty member hosts new show featured on KGCS-LP schedule

Lifelong Learning director Jerry Williams is hosting a new program on KGCS-LP.

The program features Williams and different faculty members discussing various topics.

The first segment of the series is called “Education Digest.” In this, Williams will discuss topics of interest to the community.

The second segment is called “Between the Covers,” and features a faculty member discussing a book he or she has recently read.

The program airs at 6 p.m. Tuesdays and at 7 p.m. Sundays.

For more information, or to participate in the show, e-mail Robin Douglas at [email protected].

Microsoft RV rolls way onto campus

to demonstrate new technologies

The Microsoft Across America Technology RV will be at Southern from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on April 26 as part of the “Making it Happen” program.

The RV contains several Microsoft offerings for businesses including Sharepoint, Exchange Server, Small Business Server 2003 and OneNote.

The event will take place in Matthews Hall and will provide information about leading manufacturers and will also include demonstrations of several technological benefits.

Manufacturers represented will include RSA, 3Com, Fortis, HP and others.

There will be four seminars.

The seminars start at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.

The Southern Small Business Development Center and Heartland Technology Solutions will be hosting the events.

The events are free and open to students, faculty and staff. Online registration is available at www.heartlandtechnologies.com.

Language performance award renewals begin for recipients

Foreign language performance award recipients must renew their award with their language advisors in order to receive the award in the fall.

The renewals begin Friday.

There are also no automatic renewals, and all renewals must be completed by May 5.

Also, all award recipients must participate in Foreign Language Field Day on April 18.

For more information, see Kathy Liu in the Foreign Language office.

DARS, pre-registration schedules available at registrar’s office

Pre-registration schedules are out.

Students may pick up their DARS beginning Friday at the registrar’s office.

Students should schedule an appointment with their advisors before they enroll.

On April 14, students with disabilities (must be pre-approved by the coordinator of disability services), Honors, junior varsity athletes, senior varsity athletes, junior and senior athletic trainers and approved participants of Project STAY may enroll.

On April 17, students with 90 or more hours may enroll.

On April 20, students with 60-89 hours may enroll.

On April 24, students with 30-59 hours may enroll.

On April 26, transfer students may enroll.

On April 27, freshmen may enroll as well as post graduates.

May 1 is the beginning of open enrollment.

Library hours extended in experiment to allow for more time during finals

The hours for the Spiva Library will be extended to midnight for students to use the facilities from April 30 to May 4 and again from May 7 to May 11.

The times are experimental and the faculty members will be taking a survey to see how many students use the library during those hours.

If students want to extend the hours, then they should use the library during these days.

They may also contact Wendy McGrane at [email protected].

International Film Festival celebrates 44th year with Man on the Tracks

Man on the Tracks will be shown as part of the 44th annual International Film Festival at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Cornell Auditorium.

The 1956 Polish film examines the mystery surrounding the death of a veteran train engineer.

Andrzej Munk won best director in 1957 at the Karlovy Vary festival and he also won the “Warsaw Siren” Polish Film Critics Prize.

The film is free and open to the public.

Southern Jazz Orchestra performs alongside Grammy-winning soloist

The Southern Jazz Orchestra will perform a concert at 7:30 p.m. April 11 in Webster Hall auditorium.

The concert will be directed by Dr. Phillip Wise and will feature trumpet soloist Dave Stahl.

Stahl is a Grammy Award-winning trumpeter.

The Webb City High School Jazz Ensemble I will also make an appearance with the orchestra.

The selections will include Misty featuring saxophonist Kyle Babbitt and Out of Nowhere featuring pianist Joel Thomas.

The concert is free and open to the public. Limited seating is available.