Clogs cause problems with pipes at Southern

Josh Doak - Residence Director of Blaine Hall

Josh Doak – Residence Director of Blaine Hall

Noises from backhoes and bulldozers could be heard behind Reynolds Hall last week after a pipeline busted.The line was several feet underground, but caused some backup with the pipes.”We had an actual break in the pipe,” said Bob Harrington, director of the Physical Plant. “We had to replace a 10-foot section.”The line is the main pipeline for the campus. This line runs from the residence halls and other buildings on campus to the main city sewer line. “When it backs up, you have no idea what it could be,” he said. After the line was replaced, another clog was discovered. This time it was debris, leaves and mud. The debris came from leftover pieces of the Spiva Library construction.”The city has an auger and camera,” Harrington said. “We had to call them out to see.” Because the line was city property, the city of Joplin took over the work.When the secondary pipes become clogged, it is the job of the campus plumbers to clean up the pipes. “Our plumbers will snake the pipes,” Harrington said. “At the Student Life Center, there is a problem because the pipes are smaller than we would like them to be.”He said the main issue for students is to know when to be conservative in their bathroom use. “Don’t stuff paper down the toilets,” he said. Josh Doak, residence director of Blaine Hall, said there is a problem when students feel like acting out and stuffing the toilets with paper towels.”It’s predominately stupidity,” Doak said. “There’s a lot of junior high theatrics.”He said the problem is worse with the dormitory halls than with the apartment halls because of the community bathroom situation.”They put a lot of toiletries down the toilet,” he said. However, Doak said the incidents when students intentionally plug a toilet are not common and may occur once or twice a month at the most.”It’s hard to tell who it is,” he said. “The janitors may find out who is doing it, but it’s difficult to monitor.”Harrington said the students should be courteous to others when using the restrooms.”It’s just common sense,” he said.Doak agreed and said the students should keep the toilets and sinks clean for others.”We hope they try to learn some of the life lessons in what not to do,” he said. Doak said students can be written up for not cleaning up the restrooms, but may shave, cut hair or clean dishes as long as they keep the area clean. He said there have been times when students put leftover soup in the toilets. Items like this can cause the toilets to clog up and overflow.If a student finds a toilet overflowing, he or she should call their staff assistant or Physical Plant.”Most of the stuff we can take care of ourselves,” Harrington said. “We can take care of the problems within a day.”