Big bad wolf finds his little red riding hood

avin Gardner, freshman undecided major (left, back), Lee Shouse, freshman theatre major (yellow shirt), Cassie Hardie, sophomore theatre major (striped shirt), Bethany Lansaw, senior secondary speech and theatre education major (right) and, Zack Self, freshman theatre major (front), make up the characters in the fairy tales of Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs.

Three pigs will take their place on stage Saturday and Sunday.

Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? will be playing at 2:30 p.m. in Taylor Auditorium.

Lee Shouse, freshman theatre major, portrays Oink in the play.

“It’s like the fairy tale (Little Red Riding Hood), but this has a feeling of Shrek,” he said.

Pam Claussen, director, said the play is a combination of the classic stories from both Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs.

In the story, the Wolf, portrayed by freshman theatre major Zack Self, makes attempts to get three pigs and one girl.

“There’s a lot of things you have to think about,” Self said. “It’s one big comedy.”

Shouse and Self said the play is full of energy, which makes children stand up and participate.

However, the story has variations from the original stories. The wolf takes on several different personas to get his meals.

“You can empathize with the wolf,” Self said.

Claussen said she chose the play for its ability to make the audience smile and interact with the characters.

“There is nothing better than hearing a child’s laughter,” she said.

She was contacted last year by the theatre department to direct a children’s play.

She said there were not many problems with the work on the play.

“All of the tough things have been absolutely unavoidable,” Claussen said.

She said the toughest thing about directing a children’s play is to direct the attention of the older audience, actors and mood to that of the age of the children.

“You always have to be one step ahead of the children,” Claussen said. “Children want more explanation, but sometimes they won’t challenge something adults will.”

Jade Leggott, sophomore theatre major and project stage manager, said the play is a good play for younger audiences, but older audiences can enjoy it as well.

“More than anything, for them to come, they should bring children with them,” she said. “It adds to the experience.”

She said the audiences can enjoy it together.

“It gives it a higher purpose,” Leggott said.

“When you’re in a room full of adults, it takes something away.”

Self said the play incorporates several slapstick elements into the theme, but is full of surprises for those who may see things coming.

Claussen said there are several secrets in the production the audience should look for when seeing it for the first time.

All said they thought the idea of working on a children’s play was for the good of the students who came to see the play during the day from April 19 to Friday.

The play ran each of the three days at 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.

It lasts one hour long.

Leggott said she had to keep the local schools coordinated to keep everything on schedule.

Also, the actors had little time to eat lunch during the day because of set ups and costuming.

“We’re pretty lucky,” Claussen said.

“It’s the enchanted forest so costume changes go pretty smoothly.”

The play costs $1 for adults and children 12 and under pay 50 cents.

Claussen and Leggott said audience members should remember to bring children as well, because it is for them.