Spiva displays photography

Anna Hallin, photography major, and professor Orjan Henriksson, professor of photography, both from Folkhogskola looks at the PhotoSpiva exhibit at the Spiva Center for the Arts.

Kristin Wilfing

Anna Hallin, photography major, and professor Orjan Henriksson, professor of photography, both from Folkhogskola looks at the “PhotoSpiva” exhibit at the Spiva Center for the Arts.

Artists from all over the country come to Joplin to display their photography in a competition at Spiva Center for the arts.

“PhotoSpiva” opened to the public on April 21 and will continue through May 16.

The center established the annual event in 1977.

“‘PhotoSpiva’ has become a very competitive national event for both amateurs and professionals,” said Jo Mueller, Spiva executive director. “It is now the oldest, continuously-running photography competition in the country.”

This year, 115 photographers from 23 states submitted 497 images, competing for $2,000 in awards.

Only 96 images made it into the final exhibit.

The juror was Keith Carter, an internationally-acclaimed photographer and educator. Carter’s photographs are included in private and public collections including the Art Institute of Chicago, the Smithsonian American Art Museum, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Getty Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

Though entries were received from 23 states, several Joplin residents had art that was chosen for the exhibition.

Patrick McPheron, Missouri Southern alum, was one of the artists selected.

First place went to Julie Blackmon, Springfield, for “body of work.”

“These images are both fictional and autobiographical, imagined and real,” she said. “They move beyond the documentary to explore the fantastic elements of our lives today and as children growing up in a large family. As an artist and as a mother, I believe life’s most poignant moments come from the ability to fuse fantasy and reality-to see the mythic amidst the chaos.”

Second place was given to Donna Pinkley, Little Rock, for “Olivia with Insect Bites” and third place was given to Tom Santelli, Delmar, New York, for his untitled eye box and hand box.

Honorable mentions were given to Ken Engquist, Wichita, Gloria Baker Feinstein, Kansas City and Paul Justice, Williamson, WV.

Merit awards were given to Bailey Kyle Goodall, Joplin, Colin Blakely, Ann Arbor, Mich. and Christopher Schneberger, Chicago.

PhotoSpiva 2006 is sponsored by Leggett & Platt, with additional support from the Freeman R. Johnson Trust, Friends of St. Avips and the Missouri Arts Council.

Also showing in the Regional Gallery of Spiva Center for the Arts is “Remember Jim Mueller: Photographer, Environmentalist, ‘PhotoSpiva’ Co-Founder.”

Spiva Center for the Arts is located at Third Street and Wall Avenue.

Galleries and gift shop are open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday.

The Center is closed on Mondays and major holidays.

There is no charge for admission, but donations are accepted. For more information, call the Spiva Center for the Arts at 623-0183.