Homecoming events a bit racy

The Missouri Southern Lion Pride Band will perform Saturday Oct. 14 as part of Homecoming festivities. This years Homecoming theme is NASCAR.

Alexandra Nicholas

The Missouri Southern Lion Pride Band will perform Saturday Oct. 14 as part of Homecoming festivities. This year’s Homecoming theme is NASCAR.

Homecoming is no longer just a pep rally and a football game thanks to the Homecoming Planning Committee, Student Activities Office, the Alumni Association, Campus Activities Board and countless others.

The racing theme “Start your Engines!” was conceived by the Alumni Association’s Elisa Bryant through research of themes used at other universities.

“This theme did well for both alumni and students,” said Lee Elliff Pound, Alumni Association director.

The plans for have been in the works since the end of last year’s Homecoming.

“After we get thank you notes out we’ll start on next year,” Pound said.

Homecoming is not only a campus-wide event for current students, it includes former students as well.

“It’s a great opportunity to get alumni back on campus to see how we’ve grown,” Pound said.

Former Lions will be treated to a reception, an awards dinner and a Lion Pride Brunch in addition to all the campus-wide events. There will also be reunions held by the education department, nursing department, Lion Pride Marching Band and Kappa Alpha Order.

The Alumni Association also will be presenting their Outstanding Alumni Award for 2006 to James A. Goodnight, ’63, and Col. Fred Witter, ’78. Being honored with the Lion-Hearted Award is Mary Helen Haruntun.

The Lion-Hearted award is given to those that have given outstanding service to Southern despite not being an alumnus.

There will be plenty to do for current students, as well.

The week will be chock-full of activities including a chili cook-off, fashion show, caricature trucker hats, a soapbox derby, all-campus picnic and others.

Some highlights of the week are expected to be the outdoor showing of “Click” and the Block Party “Full Throttle” Concert.

“We really want everybody to come out, it should be a really great event,” said Melanie Epperson, secretary for Student Activities.

With this year’s checkered flag in sight, the Alumni Association, Student Activities office, CAB and others can now turn their attention to next year’s plans.

“It’s a good, collective effort,” Epperson said.