Southern, NWACC ink deal

On Oct. 20, Missouri Southern and Northwest Arkansas Community College signed a memorandum of understanding with the agreement of offering classes between the two institutions.

“The agreement between the two institutions is that Missouri Southern will provide a complete degree in business administration for graduates of Northwest Arkansas Community College,” said University President Julio León.

León said the classes will be mostly taught through distance learning.

“There will be some classes taught on their campus by our faculty who will travel there and also perhaps some of the classes also may be taught by faculty from Northwest Arkansas Community College,” he said.

NWACC President Becky Paneitz said they have approximately 5,900 students enrolled in credit classes this fall.

“Many of them transfer to four-year institutions after attending with us,” she said. “Our goals include providing options for our graduates.”

Paneitz said they serve a non-traditional population.

“Many of our students work, raise children and balance their college education with these obligations,” she said.

“We’re pleased to enter into this agreement.”

Paneitz said the college was pleased to be at the agreement signing.

“This is a special occasion for us,” she said. “We think you will have some students coming here from Northwest Arkansas Community College.”

León said the University and the college have been on visits to each other’s campuses.

“The talks have been going on for more than a year now,” he said.

León said classes between the two institutions are scheduled to begin next fall.

“Right now we have applied to the Arkansas (Department) for Higher Education for certification,” he said.

León said this agreement with NWACC is similar to the agreement the University has with Lavity Stoutt Community College in Tortola in the British Virgin Islands.

“It’s very exciting,” he said. “It’s good for our institution (and) students.”