University purchases nearby residential lots

Although there are no definite long-term plans for the purchased land, the lots could be used for a new baseball stadium or to enhance the football program. For now, the fence will be torn down to expand the cross-country course.

Missouri Southern didn’t have to travel far to find a valuable commodity: land.

University President Julio León recently announced the acquisition of two properties that he hopes will aid in the continuing mission of the University.

“From the very beginning, when the University moved to this place, the institution has acquired property for future development,” he said. “In this particular case, acquiring this land was a natural because it was part of an important lot.

“Knowing that the institution is growing, and even if we don’t know what we’re going to use it for, it would be wise for the future of the institution to own the whole property.”

The new additions to the Southern campus are located on the corner of Newman Road and Vanhoorebeke Drive. The corner lot and the lot at 704 E. Vanhoorebeke, were purchased in December for the price of $225,000.

The purchase is being funded out of the University’s reserves, León said.

Taking money from the reserves was necessary because of the timing of the deal.

“We were contacted by the realtors of each lot about the property,” said Dr. Teri Agee, vice president for business affairs. “We ended up paying below the market price for them, so we got a good deal.”

The land is adjacent to the cross-country course and near the area in which the stadium and athletic complex additions have been proposed. The possibilities for what can be done with the properties remain endless, however athletics seem to be the early frontrunner as benefactor for the property.

“Right now the bulk of this land is used for a cross-country course because the layout can be changed for the national championship,” León said. “That’s going to help change the layout. Perhaps enhance football program, or perhaps a new baseball stadium. A lot of people have wanted a baseball stadium facility on campus so the students can go.

“We have football, soccer, softball, tennis. Why not baseball? It’s difficult to say how soon, but in the future this institution will be very happy to have it.”

The land could also be used for a new athletic complex, which would provide an opportunity for growth for the athletics teams.

“The immediate plan for the acquired land is to tear down the fence and expand the cross-country course,” Agee said. “Right now, we are still in the conceptual stage for the sports complex.”

“The contractors have made a few visits to campus in which they met with several focus groups in hopes to get an idea of what the needs are for the complex and the athletic teams to function,” said Athletic Director Sallie Beard.

Regardless of what the intended purpose of the new lots will be, Agee said the timing in this acquisition was ideal.

“The opportunity kind of materialized,” she said.