Lang portrays Easter Bunny

Mike Lang - Senior Communications Major

Mike Lang – Senior Communications Major

Be on your best behavior Missouri Southern, because the Easter Bunny may be in your classroom.

Michael Lang, senior communications major, was the long-eared, carrot-loving hare at Joplin’s Northpark Mall located at 101 N. Rang Line Rd. for this season.

“The first kid hugged me like 30 times and she was amazed by me, that’s when I started to understand the significance of the Easter Bunny,” Lang said.

He said he enjoyed working with the children and seeing how excited they are when he walks out.

While laughing, Lang said he sometimes forgets he is in the costume during pictures and he still smiles for the camera. He reminds himself they cannot see him smiling.

“Mostly the parents want the pictures, the children just want to see me,” he said.

Not being able to talk, he uses non-verbal cues. He pats heads, shakes hands, gives hugs and high fives.

“I love him, we shaked our booties together,” said Brooklyn Maggard, a 4-year-old who went to visit the bunny.

Maggard’s mother, Dawn, said the rabbit was nice and seemed to care for the children. All of the children had a good time and did not want to leave.

“I think it’s a good idea for a Southern student to reach out as a positive figure to the children of our community,” said Tammy Wolfley, sophomore criminal justice major.

The worst thing about being the Easter Bunny is the heat. Lang said it gets so hot in his costume he feels claustrophobic at times.

“I take the costume off and I am covered in sweat,” Lang said. “The helmet part of the costume weighs a lot. It has put bruises on my shoulders.”

When work is slow, Lang admits he falls asleep in his costume.

“I was so still once, a lady thought I was a stuffed animal until she saw me breathing,” he said.

Some embarrassing things have happened to Lang. His toe was once exposed and some high school students have sat on his lap. However, working six-hour shifts in a rabbit costume can be serious business.

“It takes a lot of discipline and control, a lot of mind over matter,” Lang said. “You’re just sitting in that costume for hours at a time.”

Children receive a set of ears and candy after visiting the bunny.

One of Lang’s friend’s mother asked him to be the Easter Bunny. He declined at first, but with an offer of $9 per hour he couldn’t say no.

“A lot of people were amazed that I was the Easter Bunny. Hey, I’m a college student, we do what we have to,” Lang said.

On opening day, children clung onto Lang. He was concerned about either tripping over them and hurting them, or unmasking himself in front of the children. So he makes sure he’s careful with every step.

“What if I fall and my head helmet falls off?” Lang said. “These kids will be traumatized for life. You got to keep the myth going.”