Language clubs translate activity into opportunity

Interested in learning about other cultures, languages, or meeting new people? Missouri Southern offers many clubs and organizations that students can join if they are interested in them. The Foreign Language Department offers five such clubs: French Club, German Club, Russian Club,Spanish Club and Asian Languages Club.

Mila Lichman, junior nursing major and Russian Club treasurer, said that foreign language clubs aren’t only for students who are receiving the performance award.

“It is for students here who are interested in the cultural aspect, and for students who love to learn about other cultures,” Lichman said. “I dragged my boyfriend to a meeting last year and he said that this year he would join, because he loved it so much.”

The Russian Club will be meeting at 12 p.m. Friday, Oct. 12 at in the International Language Resource Center. They will be discussing fundraiser ideas and figuring out what trips they want to attend.

Mrs. Beatrice Dubuis, associate professor of German and French and adviser to the German club said that they will be doing a Christmas market sometime in the first weeks of November for a fundraiser.

They will be going to Oktoberfest within the next couple of weeks in Tulsa, Okla., and will be meeting another German Club in Fayetteville, Ark., sometime this semester.

They are having t-shirts made this semester. The German Club will be meeting at 12:15 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4 at in the foreign language department conference room.

The Spanish Club will be meeting on 12:20 pm Tuesday, Oct. 2 at in the bottom of Billingsley Student Center. They will be discussing about volunteering for the concession stand for Homecoming. The Spanish conversation group will be meeting at 12:20 p.m. Thursday Oct. 4 at in the bottom of Spiva Library in the coffee shop.

Dr. Maryann Weber, associate professor of French and adviser to the French Club, said that the French Club will play a French film to be viewed once a month.

They will be having a Halloween party in October, and in November will be having a bowling night.

She said that at the end of this semester the club will be having a French meal.

Three times a year the club meets to do a videoconference to speak with students from the Université d’Orléans.

The French club will be meeting at 12:15 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 11 at in the foreign language department conference room.