China Semester to soar: End-of-week kite competition scheduled

If you built a Chinese kite would it symbolize anything or would it be an animal or just express your personality?

As a part of the China Semester, students can put their kite building ideas to work from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sept. 20 and 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. on Sept. 21.

Both instructional classes will have a free lunch and will teach basic kite-building techniques. The classes will meet at University Java in Spiva Library. The Friday session will be followed by a kite flying competition.

“Not only do you learn how to build it, but you have the excitement to see if your invention flies,” said Tammy Wolfley, sophomore criminal justice major.

The frames are made of bamboo sticks and covered with paper, fabric or silk. The kites take on one of four different forms: centipede kites, hard winged, soft winged or flat kites.

The centipede kite design has a dragonhead and a train of equally dimensioned discs. Hard winged kites have symmetrically arranged bamboo frames and a rigid central frame enhancing the overall rigidity of the kite with paper or silk glued to the frame. The soft winged kites are usually flexible and have upper and lower sections. Flat kites are constructed within a single plane and are make of a complete rigid bamboo frame.

“Learning about Chinese kites is a good idea. Your learning how to build something you probably never thought about making before,” Wolfley said. Southern students can enter their kites in the competition held 2 p.m. Sept. 21 on the MSSU soccer fields.

Kites will on judged best design, craftsmanship, best flight, best theme, and the grand champion. The only rule for competitors is that they must fly a kite to win a prize.

Kimberlee Wilson of Carthage plans to attend the event as a spectator. “The idea of spending time with my son Adyn and watching the kites will be fun and educational. I am interested to see the different designs,” Wilson said.