Conference topiocs: Exports, international trade

Internationally known Wu Man, will play for reception. She toured with Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road project.

Courtesy Photo

China is the focus for the Robert W. Plaster School of Business Administration conference, “The Dragon Awake: China and its Emergence as a Global Business Leader,” slated for Nov. 1-2.

“The conference promises to provide a forum for practitioners and academics to share real business expertise and build relationships beneficial to business and students alike,” said Chris Moos, director of the International Trade and Quality Center.

Kimberly Gray, development director at the school of business, had a role in planning the conference and lining up guest speakers including two Missouri Southern students: Tyler Lipscomb and Kristiyan Hristov. Gray says the conference is an opportunity for students to interact with their school, business leaders and peers

“Presenters include international business leaders and scholars who will speak on topics including China’s commercial sector and economic influence on the world, evolving marketing model, global supply chain, and social responsibility and ethics – an issue that’s received much attention lately,” Gray said.

Ilan Alon, expert in Chinese culture, education and economy, will be the keynote speaker. Much of the conference focuses on export management with regional experts on the subject. During the evening reception Nov. 1, the Chinese lute will be played by the internationally known Wu Man. Another session will focus on China’s historic opium problems and lessons it holds for the war on drugs today.

“Because tradition so strongly influences innovation, there is a linkage between academics who study a culture’s historical and sociological past, business professionals who seek to understand an international marketplace, and students with an interest in current affairs,” Gray said.

Students may attend the sessions free of charge, business registration for the two-day conference is $100. Giving students and local business members a chance to broaden their business horizons is purpose for the conference.

“The overall goal of the school of business is to graduate students with the necessary skills to compete in the global workplace, it is our responsibility to make opportunities available that ensure we can meet this goal. The greatest reward for us is the success of our graduates and the subsequent contributions they make toward the betterment of their communities,” Gray said.

For registration information, please contact Gray, 625-9779.