22 gain entry into ODK for striving to be ‘servant leaders’

Joshua Onuiri, senior biology/accounting major, is inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa Sunday Nov. 11. Students were nominated either by Southern faculty or a member of ODK for their leadership skills and community service. ODK identifies, honors and develops leaders in collegiate and community life.

Christina Faris

Twenty-two initiates were inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa, representing Missouri Southern with their leadership skills and community service.

“When a student is selected we get a copy of his or her schedule and we go into his or her class and read a letter about ODK and the qualities of its recognition. We say we cap you into membership,” said Heather Freeland, senior English secondary education major.

The new members were nominated either by Southern faculty or a member of ODK. Initiates must be junior status or above, and have earned a certain amount of points with a satisfactory grade point average.

The five highest standards the society has accepted as its own are: scholarship, service, integrity, character and fellowship.

“You have to be in the top 35 percent of your class and have leadership skills,” said Elaine Freeman, associate professor of teacher education.

The society’s mission is to identify, honor and develop leaders in collegiate and community life.

In the past, Southern ODK members have collected books for children, served food at Soul’s Harbor, done projects for the Children’s Haven, and collected stuffed animals for firemen to hand out. Their plans for the holidays are to collect food and give it to local charities whose food pantries are running low.

“When working ODK it is kind of what is right with the world,” Freeman said.

ODK was founded in 1914 and brought to Missouri Southern in 1986 establishing Southern’s Golden Crest Circle the following year.

The emblem, which is in the shape of a key, symbolizes the all-around nature of the society’s organization. The five stars on the upper bar represent scholarship, athletics, campus or community service, the mass media and the performing arts.

“Being a part of ODK, you get a personal accomplishment and personal recognition,” Freeman said. “Leadership does matter, we want to be servant leaders.”

President Sarah Jones, senior theatre major, will be presenting at the national business convention in Atlanta, Ga.