Senate seats 7 new members

Student Senate gained seven new senators at Wednesday’s meeting.

“I feel I can accommodate changes well and bring an insight into what the students want,” said Niki Ansel, senior international business and marketing major, of her new position.

Once the new senators took their chairs, it was back to old news: the Crossroads debate. Last semester a resolution was proposed to remove the portion of student activities fee that helps fund Crossroads. After a lengthy debate, the resolution was tabled.

A presentation discussing the new student health and recreation center was given by Darren Fullerton, director of campus recreation. The recreation center will include a gymnasium, weight room, locker room, and a 150 seat theater. These additions mean a new fee for students as well as faculty. Full-time students will pay $150 each semester and part-time students will pay $75. Faculty will pay the same as full-time students.

“We know the fee will be high for some students,” Fullerton said, “And that some students have memberships to the Y. But our fee will be cheaper than the Y.”

The recreation center will be student run, creating nearly 125 job positions for student workers. According to Fullerton, this will help put money back in student pockets.

“We’re going to try to keep students involved,” Fullerton said. “This will be a true student facility.”