“Go Green” theme for Legacy Day

Legacy Day celebrates the children of Missouri Southern’s alumni.

On Feb. 9, over 70 children of Southern Alumni came to the campus for a day of fun-filled activities.

This year’s theme was “Go Green.” Attendees were taught about the environment and how to take care of it. Southern Kinesiology Club members taught 8-10 year olds about the environment by dancing with the animals and making a bird feeder from peanut butter and birdseed.

“I love being around this age group,” said Chelsi Leggett, sophomore physical education major and one of the group leaders.

Southern’s Alumni Association partnered with the Teacher Education department to put on this event. Alumni organizes the event and does all the outside work and registration, and then puts the education majors to work.

Alumni Department intern Meagan Wirth, senior communications major, was in charge of all the little details. Wirth worked with all the different departments involved in making this day possible.

“I loved seeing them excited to do something,” Wirth said about the kids as they came through the registration line. “To me it is lots of paperwork, but they see the fun in it.”

Legacy Day is for children ages 5 through 16. During the two hours on campus, the Legacies played games, ate snacks and got to interact with Southern students. Even President Speck was in attendance.

As part of the day, each legacy received a ticket to the men’s and women’s basketball game. In addition to attending the game, they were given a green and gold pom-pom, a coupon for a free popcorn and drink at the game, and a MSSU T-shirt.

Alumni Director Lee Elliff Pound, and two interns founded Legacy Day in 1997. Since that day, legacies each year are given the opportunity to take a piece of Southern home with them.