Debate centers on proposed policy

Discussion continues among Student Senate members over the “Good Samaritan Policy” resolution which received its second reading April 2.

Senators first voted to suspend the rules and extend discussion past the 20 allotted minutes, then tabled the measure at 6:30 p.m. because of the number of Senators leaving for class or other duties.

“Hopefully there won’t be a debate next week,” said Darrell Sour, senior marketing and sociology major and proponent of the resolution.

I think it went well,” Sour said. “I only saw a couple students, a couple Senators that argued strongly against it. There were questions posed, but I think they were objective, not biased.”

Senators questioned if a Good Samaritan policy would reducing drinking incidents, the intent of the bill and the reason for granting amnesty to both the caller and other students involved.

Kyle Tucker, English instructor, spoke before Senate in defense of the measure.

“In the midst of a medical emergency where someone could save someone’s life it’s far more important to call than it is to bust ’em,” Tucker said.

Senator Alesha Gilleland, junior sociology major, offered her opinion as a parent. Her children lost a friend last year who tried to hide his drugs during a traffic stop.

“He swallowed the methamphetamine and four guys stood there and no one told. In the back of the police car before they could get him to the police station he coded,” Gilleland said. “Kids your age could bury your best friend because you’re afraid to call, and then it really doesn’t matter anymore because you’re burying them.”

Supporters say students will be required to complete a one-hour mandatory drug and alcohol counseling session before they could receive medical amnesty.

“I consider it proactive,” Sour said. “Not only is it counseling for the person that the paramedics were called for, but it’s an evaluation and potential counseling for the other students that were involved in assisting.”

With the resolution tabled it will require a majority vote for Senate to resume discussion or vote on the issue.

In other business, Senate voted to confirm the appointment of Senator Ben Hinkle as parliamentarian.

A Blackboard site has been established and all Senate business will be online for Senators to view. Student groups submitting allocation requests can still use the paper format, but will be all-digital by fall.

Senate approved $1000 for Southern Concepts and $1000 for five members of the PsiChi club for a conference.

Senators rejected an allocation request for the “MSSU Greeks” saying such an organization did not exist on campus and if the measure was for the Greek Council the signature was incorrect. The request will be resubmitted.