ARMED CAMPUS

ARMED CAMPUS

ARMED CAMPUS

A member of the Missouri General Assembly has proposed people with concealed weapon licenses should be allowed to bring firearms on campus.

Though I am against the idea of guns on campus, there’s legitimate logic to the self-defense argument.

Recent events on the Missouri Southern campus and a series of Lot 25 thefts and vandalisms may have students worried that campus police can’t protect students or react in a timely manner.

Rep. Brian Munzlinger (R-Williamstown) gave an example of a school that allowed students to have firearms to The Chart State Editor Brennan Stebbins. The students were able to stop an attacker from causing any damage or harm.

Though this is a noble example, few campuses have had such heroic examples. The temptation of a gun always has a more violent allure.

It seems that many students believe people who are eligible to own a weapon will use it responsibly. But this isn’t always the case.

One student in Stebbins’ article said, “You should be able to protect yourself only in times of need, not just whenever you get mad.”

Well there’s a foolproof system. By this logic Missouri should require all owners of concealed weapons to purchase a mood ring with their weapons. Failure to wear it will result in being arrested while the appearance of a bad mood color will result in weapon confiscation.

Another person said they wouldn’t mind so long as people “… didn’t bring bazookas or anything.”

For starters, a bazooka isn’t a concealed weapon. In fact, the military tried to conceal the bazooka before and wound up designing the tank. Yes, you heard it here folks. Top military designers couldn’t manage to conceal the bazooka despite their best efforts. (This is sarcasm, in case you couldn’t tell.)

Now for a less humorous look at this topic.

On Aug. 1, 1966, Charles Whitman killed 16 people and wounded 31 others. He knew what he has doing when he climbed on to the observation deck. He was there to kill.

On April 20, 1999, Dylan Kelbold and Eric Harris killed 13, injured 24, and then turned the weapons on themselves. They came into the school with weapons and the intent to kill.

Weapons are created to kill. If everyone has a weapon, the campus will be less secure. There is always a possibility of someone being pushed to the brink. Guns would create distrust throughout the entire student body and I, for one, want nothing to do with it.

So, if you want your guns, go ahead and have them. As for me, I will be heading for not-so-bloody Kansas.