Resolution proposes alcohol sales at Hughes

Student Senate got right to work this week, taking care of all of last week’s tabled items and this week’s new items.

One resolution passed this week recognized that students on campus would like to see alcohol sales during some events at Fred G. Hughes Stadium.

“It’s basically just asking the administration to seriously consider selling alcohol to raise money,” said Darrell Sour, senior marketing and sociology major and the measure’s sponsor. “It seems that they don’t think twice about cutting expenses, and it needs to be done. I totally understand, but we need to look at ways to increase funding as well.”

The phrase “responsible sale of alcoholic beverages” is placed throughout the resolution to anticipate any restrictions the administration may impose.

Senate passed another resolution suggesting the University’s Department of Public Safety allow criminal justice majors to intern with DPS officials.

Senate debated over a pet-friendly dormitory resolution for the largest part of the meeting. Ultimately, Senate did not pass the resolution.

Other resolutions that passed were a greener campus resolution, a library resolution and the an Access Missouri resolution.

Senate voted to approve appropriations of $1,000 to Catholic Campus Ministries and Phi Beta Lambda and $935 to the Sociology Club.