Day of service set for Sept. 11

As service learning becomes more of a staple on the Missouri Southern campus, the career services department has organized a few volunteer events for the early fall 2010 semester.

The 2010 Serve-A-Thon will be held Sept. 11 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Career Development Day is Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., according to Southern’s service learning coordinator Tara Clark.

For the Serve-A-Thon, students will try to get a group of 10 recruits who will collect 10 pledges of $10 each. Pledge money must be given to the Resource Center by Sept. 10, and the group that raises the most money will receive an award of $250 on Sept. 11.

“The funds that we raise through that are going to go toward the (MSSU) Resource Center,” Clark said.

To help with the Serve-A-Thon prior to Sept. 11, student must register by dropping by the career services office by Sept. 8, and they may sign up in the Lions’ Den on Tuesday, Sept. 7 between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Clark said Southern promotes service to the community, and also a way to meet other people.

“Service projects are a great way to get to know people, get to know your community and involve yourself in an activity that doesn’t waste your money or time,” Clark said. “It’s enjoyable, it’s fulfilling and it brings people together in a way that few other things do.”

Southern’s Service Learning is also collaborating with the Bright Futures initiative to develop a service learning internship, which will be available for credit at Southern in the future.

“We should have several next semester,” Clark said, and added that University President Bruce Speck is a supporter of Bright Futures.

Look for a more in-depth article about Career Development Day in a future edition of The Chart, as well as a look at how students can connect and volunteer with Bright Futures.