Students shave heads for kids

St. Patrick’s Day is rapidly approaching, and it has been decided that it’s a great day to go bald.

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is teaming up with Missouri Southern’s Student Senate to put on an event to raise money for childhood cancer research.  Students and staff will shave their heads to support the cause, and the event will take place at 7 p.m. on March 17 in Young Gym.  Food and drinks will be provided, as will items like green hair extensions, mini manicures and face painting for St. Patrick’s Day.  All proceeds will go to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, which funds more than almost any other organization in childhood cancer research grants.

“St. Baldrick’s is proof that one person — $1 — can make a difference in the fight against childhood cancer,” said Rebecca Ledbetter, senior political science major.  “It coordinates its signature worldwide head-shaving events where volunteers get bald to stand in solidarity with kids fighting cancer and raise money to support life-saving research.”

Participants can get their heads shaved, volunteer to help with the event, attend and/or make a donation to help. 

The Student Senate is hoping for at least 200 people and to raise at least $5,000. 

“All the positive responses and the hope of really making a difference in the lives of these brave children have kept me motivated throughout this entire process,” Ledbetter said.