Intramural indoor soccer begins next week

Intramurals are in full swing this semester, with several sports having wrapped up their seasons.

Four-on-four sand volleyball was the first to complete its schedule, doing so on Sept. 27. After a short playoff series where all teams participating qualified, “Green Back Gettas” was crowned men’s champion, “Fab Four” won co-ed, and “MOSO Soccer” won women’s. 

The next sport to wrap up play was seven-on-seven flag football. Twelve total teams participated and were separated into two divisions, the James Thrash Division and Rod Smith Division. The top three teams from each division qualified for the playoffs, and the final two teams, “Straight Cash Homey” and “Pink Stockings” duked it out for the finale. “Pink Stockings” would walk away the winner and complete their undefeated season on Oct. 12. When asked about this feat, Jansen Adams, sophomore computer information science major said “Who said you can’t win them all?”

Currently, indoor six-on-six co-ed volleyball is taking place on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in the Beimdieck Recreational Center. The playoffs and championship game will take place Tuesday, Oct. 1 from 6 to 10 p.m. 

“Thus far in the school year participation hasn’t been quite what we were hoping for,” said Landon Adams, senior marketing major and Intramural Coordinator and Supervisor. “However, the figures are roughly even with a year ago, and last year’s numbers were up from the year before that. We are definitely looking for creative ways to improve our numbers and we have always been extremely flexible with student’s personal schedules.

“For the fall we still have indoor soccer, wiffleball, three-on-three basketball, raquetball, badminton, and table tennis. I’m really looking forward to indoor soccer.”

Indoor soccer begins next week and will be played Monday and Wednesday in the late afternoon and early evenings. To sign up for any of these sports, students may visit www.IMLeagues.com and create an account which will enable them to view the sports open for registering.