Campus police reports from Aug. to Sept.

Traffic Accident

University police responded to a traffic accident on Sept. 5. The victim parked their car in Lot 24 on Sept. 4. When they returned an unknown car had struck the left rear quarter panel of the vehicle. Red paint from the car which struck her was left on victim’s car. Review of surveillance footage proved unsuccessful in identifying the suspect.

Marijuana Seized from Student

University police received a call about a strong smell of marijuana coming from an apartment in Mitchell Hall on Sept. 6. Upon arrival they conducted a search of the apartment and found a small amount of marijuana which was confiscated. At least five students were inside the apartment of which a few visitors, a violation of the dorm visitor policy, was among them. The students were cited for marijuana possession by the school.

Fire Alarm at East Hall

University Police responded to a call on Sept. 7 in response to a fire alarm going off in East Hall. When contact was made with the students responsible for the alarm it was determined that the fog and laser machine inside the room set off the alarm. The students advised police that their roommate may be COVID-19 positive and was currently in quarantine but outside the room without a mask. Resident Assistants addressed the situation with the student, but no further information is available at this time.

Property Damage – 2nd Degree

Campus police investigated a call claiming property damage to a student’s vehicle on Sept. 7. The student parked their car in Lot 21 early that morning, but when they came back there were several dents on the hood of the car. The student claimed that the dents appeared as if someone had walked on the hood of the car. The investigation is still on-going at this time.

Leaving the Scene of an Accident

A student arrived at the University Police office on Sept. 1 to report an accident which happened the previous day. The student arrived in Lot 38 that morning and parked her vehicle in the back row closes to Southern View Drive. When the student returned later that day an unknown vehicle had side-swiped the rear left quarter pane of the vehicle – white transfer paint was left on the car. A review of surveillance cameras yielded no new information, and a note was not left on the car.

Theft

A theft was reported at Spiva Library on Aug. 25 by a student stating that their laptop had been stolen. The student had mistakenly left the device at a desk she was working at and when she returned the next morning the laptop was missing. Staff told the student that the laptop was not turned in to the lost and found. Video surveillance yielded no new information and the laptop was entered into MULES as stolen. Investigation is ongoing.