The Student News Site of Missouri Southern State University

The Chart

The Chart

The Chart

Honoring Heroes: MSSU’s Veterans Week Celebrations

November is a month dedicated to gratitude, and what better way to begin than by expressing our thanks to our Veterans?

Beginning on Monday, November 6, MSSU will launch its Veterans Week, featuring a variety of events designed to honor our Veterans.

Monday, November 6

• The week’s activities start with Flag Day, where individuals are encouraged to display a flag in support of America or Veterans. Flags can be picked up from the Oval Gazebo between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.

Tuesday, November 7

• On Tuesday, it’s Yellow Ribbon Day. It is encouraged for everyone to wear a yellow ribbon as a symbol of support. Ribbons can be collected from the Oval Gazebo from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
  • Later in the day, from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., the BSC Lion’s Den will host an e-sports game, Call of Duty, providing a fun and competitive opportunity to showcase gaming skills for a fun time.

Wednesday, November 8

• The Best Warrior Competition is being held at the Oval from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Thursday, November 9

• A Veterans Day Luncheon will be held from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the BSC Connor Ballroom. If you are a Veteran (student, staff, or faculty) and are interested in attending and receiving a free lunch, register here.
  • In the evening, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., the Department of Communications and the Department of Music will proudly present “A Salute To Veterans,” a concert by the 135th Army Band. This will take place at the Taylor Performing Arts Center and is free of charge for both students and community members. In the lobby, there will be several Veteran organizations set up to provide information about their resources.

Friday, November 10

• Friday is Yard Game Day, with the Oval transformed into a hub of fun games, offering donuts and hot chocolate from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Saturday, November 11

• To end this wonderful week dedicated to honoring our Veterans, the Joplin Veterans Day Parade will take place in downtown Joplin (Main Street) at 10 a.m.

Although this is a week with fun ahead, we want to remember all of the sacrifices our Veterans have made. Their dedication and courage are celebrated and honored, not just this week, but every day.