London study program open to students

Sara Bularzik, program manager for CAPA International Education, gave a presentation to Missouri Southern communication students on the Missouri London Program on Sept. 12.

Bularzik shared that students can take part in a fall, spring or summer study experience.

The summer program lasts three weeks. The semester-long programs run 15 weeks and balances coursework with an opportunity for an internship experience as well.

The courses are taught by a combination of British and American instructors. Internships are available with international companies and organizations that have partnered with CAPA.

Bularzik said the program allows students to gain a valuable international and cross-cultural experience. The courses are structured so that academic credits earned by students are part of the regular authorized course offerings.

Students of the Missouri London program live in a furnished apartment in London and take classes at the CAPA center.

“It’s a large city but it has a small town feel,” Bularzik said.

“I think that my internship that I did when I was in China helped me get to the position I am doing today. I made really good professional contacts in Bejing who helped with my job search and served as references. I think that having an international reference can speak volumes on a student’s ability to do something extraordinary. I definitely credit doing an international internship to a lot of my success.”

The cost of the semester-long London session is approximately $10,000 plus airfare and the summer session costs $4,000.

Full-time MSSU students who meet the 2.5 grade-point average minimum can apply for a study abroad grant of up to $1,000.

For more information on MSSU study abroad opportunities, students can attend the Study Abroad Fair held in mid-November in the Billingsly Student Center or call the Institute of International Studies at 625-9736.

The dates for the Missouri London Program’s spring session are Jan. 9 to April 26, 2013. The deadline to apply is Nov. 2, 2012.

To learn more about course descriptions, scholarships, internship opportunities and more for the Missouri London program, students can visit the program’s website at http://programs.capa.org/mlp or contact Sara Bularzik at 1-800-793-0334.