Southern jazzing up over pizza

From left to right: Director of jazz studies Dr. Phillip Wise, sophomore Seth Ernst, junior Barry Arwood, senior Quinn Dirks, senior Arthur Johnson, senior Matt Clark and sophomore Michael Chilton practice for an upcoming community performance.

Joshua Boley, The Chart

Tonight the MSSU Jazz Combos will be performing at Gusano’s Pizza at 6 p.m.  

The Jazz Combos were started by Dr. Phillip Wise, director of jazz studies, when he arrived at Southern in 1995.  

A jazz combo usually consists of four to eight musicians and the focus is on improvisation. 

“Improvisation is roughly 90 percent of what a combo does.  In comparison, the jazz orchestra will play written musical parts 90 percent of the time with improvisation consisting of only 10 percent,” Wise said.  

“Prior to 1995 the only opportunity our students had to perform music of the jazz idiom was with the jazz orchestra.  

“The jazz orchestra, also known as big band, usually consists of 16-18 musicians … There was student interest [in a jazz combo] and I was more than happy to get the ball rolling.”

Currently, there are three combos, or groups, of jazz musicians, though in past years there have been as many as five, according to Wise.  

Occasionally, the combos feature a jazz vocalist to sing and scat (improvise using syllables), and this year, senior theater major Devri Brock is lending her voice to the group.  

“This is a new experience for me,” Brock said.  

“I like getting to work with the other musicians … they are very talented.  My favorite and most difficult experience so far was a number where I had to scat.  It was a fun experiment and my first time to have a scatting solo.”

Other students involved have expressed how much being a part of the jazz combos has helped them improve their craft. 

“I enjoy playing jazz piano because Dr. Wise has taught me so many new things,” said Jeff Yates, junior music major. 

Kyle Dickey, trumpeter and freshman piano performance major, said that he “enjoys the one-on-one instruction.  It’s easier to grow as a musician … and the combos are a lot of fun.”

The success the current students are feeling as a part of the combos is a tradition the combos have enjoyed for many years.  

In 2001, a jazz combo was invited to perform in Tortola, British Virgin Islands, as part of the annual Jazz Artist Series.  In 2006, a combo went on tour to British Columbia and Alberta, Canada.  

“Many of the musicians who were members of those touring groups are now playing professionally,” said Wise. 

“Four of the musicians are in Branson performing with The  Andy Williams Show, The Lawrence Welk Orchestra, Debby Boone, Shoji Tabuki and others.”

Since the jazz combos are  smaller groups, they have had many opportunities over the years to perform around town.  

“We have performed at the Carthage YMCA banquet, The MSSU Lantern Society banquet, an open concert at JJ’S Pizza, a Freeman Hospital banquet with Governor Nixon, the Hilton Hotel grand opening and the list goes on,” said Wise.  

“We have become a musical face for the music department and the university and we are proud to play that role.”

Tonight, the combos will add to their list of community performances when they play jazz hits such as “Satin Doll” by Duke Ellington, “Impressions” by John Coltrane, and “It Had To Be You” by Isham Jones and Johnny Mercer, to name a few.  

The combos will start out each song as written, incorporate improvisation, and then flow back into the written melody to end the song.

“All musicians need an outlet for creativity and this is the strength of these jazz groups,” said Wise.