Student Senate to host head-shaving fundraiser

On Tuesday, March 12, the Missouri Southern Student Senate will host the third annual St. Baldrick’s event in Young Gymnasium from 6 to 9 p.m.  The event is a fundraiser for childhood cancer research.

“Our St. Baldrick’s event is where we have people who have signed up to get their head shaved come on stage and we have licensed barbers shave their head on stage,” senator Brittany Lampe said.

Admission to the event is free with free music and food as well. In addition to those being shaved, there will be games and a silent auction. Some of the silent auction items include Royals tickets, Silver Dollar City tickets and movie tickets to the Northstar Theater.  

Other items include gift certificates from Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Onion Café and Tropical Tan.  

Lampe said that a professor from the English department has signed up to shave her head. Additionally, an alumni whose daughter has cancer will sharing her story and what they have gone through.

“St Baldrick’s is an organization that raises money for research and awareness of childhood cancers. All of the money we raise will go to them to help kids with cancer,” Lampe said. She said that when the student senate was looking for a charity to give back to, this one was something new and unique.

“Sometimes people show up on the night of the event and are like this is such a great thing and want to donate to the cause and they decide right then and there to shave their head,” Lampe said. “Even if you are not going to get your head shaved you can come out and support your friends or people that are and donate to a good cause.”