Brown: Opportunities abound at career fair

Nicole Brown

Nicole Brown

Students at Missouri Southern are preparing to attend this semester’s career fair in hopes of making connections or even potentially find a job.

Nicole Brown, director of career services, says that there is an opportunity for every student at the career fair.

“Students should attend the career fair to make contact with prospective employers for full-time, part-time, and internship positions or to explore volunteer opportunities,” Brown said. “Many times students are unaware of opportunities with organizations.” 

The representatives from companies who will be there are not just looking for seniors to fill part-time positions. Students of all ages are welcome to come and find part-time positions and internships as well.

“Many times students think they have to wait until their senior year to complete an internship or start building experience in the field,” Brown said.

“Part-time work is a great way for students to get their foot in the door with great companies in the area.  Volunteer work is also very important to have on a resumé. Employers like to see that students can commit to a cause and are willing to donate their time.”

Specifically, seniors should expect to find full-time employment opportunities at the fair. The career fair acts as a jump-start on the job hunt after graduation. Employers at the career fair fully expect to wait for students to start working after graduation.

Brown encourages students to get the most out of the career fair by introducing themselves to multiple companies despite what students think their role could be in others they seek out first.

“Many times students will pass up a medical company because they assume they only hire doctors and nurses but there is an entire infrastructure supporting the hospital that utilizes almost every major MSSU offers,” Brown said.

“I tell students, walk around the fair, introduce yourself to representatives and tell them your major, ask how that could fit into their organization. The representatives are there to share their information and find great candidates.”

Brown encourages students to come with copies of their resumés and dressed professionally and said most employers will line up interviews following the fair.