Campus, community celebrate 75th

Joshua Boley/The Chart

Despite the rain April 27, runners showed up to participate in the 75th anniversary 5k run. The race took place on Southern’s campus starting in the parking lot behind Leggett & Platt Athletic Center and finishing by the tennis courts. The entry fee was $25 per runner.

Despite the gloomy morning April 27, community members along with Missouri Southern students and faculty lined up to run in the first ever 5k sponsored by Missouri Southern.

The celebrations were apart of the Southern Spree and began the Friday before the race.

The events also included a Stars of Hope activity for those interested in arts and crafts. The stars are going to be placed around the Joplin community.

Freshmen, Caleb Smith was one of the participants who braved the rain to run in the 5k.

The age categories were split up into seven different sections; 13-15,16-19,20-29,30-39,40-49,50-59 and 60 and over.

Medals were awarded to the top three in each age category, for both men and women.

Saturday’s events were wrapped up by a community concert at First Community Church that was free to the public.