Masters degree available in accounting

Liz Spencer/The Chart

Signed by then Govenor Mel Carnahan, a copy of the house bill authorizing Missouri Southern to offer a master’s level degree program in accountancy, hangs in Smith’s office.

Missouri Southern’s State School of Business recently created a new independent graduate program titled the Master’s of Accountancy Program, MAcc, which will launch in the 2014-2015 school year. The MAcc provides advanced in-depth training in accounting, business and leadership for those individuals who are seeking professional careers in accounting.

Dean of Business John Groesbeck said, “ The Masters of Accountancy is the first graduate program that MSSU was approved to offer independently by the Missouri Department of Higher Education. This approval was granted in May of 2013.

“Accounting is one of our largest majors in the Plaster School of Business, and our accounting program has an excellent reputation in the area.

“This program builds on that reputation and further adds value to our region.”

Future accountants these days need more knowledge than ever before due to the changing global business environment. This new program provides help for students who need the skills necessary to be successful in a quickly changing business environment.

The comprehensive program develops the students’ mental and technical accounting competence, communication skills, research and analytical abilities, and leadership skills.

Groesbeck said, “During my years working as a dean of schools of business, I have been impressed with how many doors a MAcc opens for those who want a career in public accounting. The MAcc is the degree of choice for those going into this field, which pays extremely well. Those working as partners in accounting firms earn well into the six figure salary range.”

The deadline to apply for this program is March 1, 2014. Admission to the MAcc is based on evaluation of the last 60 hours of academic work, minimum GMAT score of 450 and work experience. A fast track admission option is also available for students who are dually admitted into both bachelor’s degree in Accounting and the MAcc as a senior.

“It is anticipated that students can complete this bachelor’s and master’s program combined in five years of fulltime study with good planning,” Groesbeck said.  

Dr. David Smith, department head for cccounting and finance, said, “Surveys of our accounting graduates show that approximately 13 percent of our students go on to a graduate program after completing their degree here.  

“Our own analysis suggests that this percentage would more than double with the addition of our MAcc degree. We estimate that the program will have approximately 20-25 students within a couple of years.”