Title IX training for students under way

A standardized Title IX training video has been uploaded to Blackboard for all Missouri Southern students to view. The video — which faculty and staff have been watching since the Fall semester — is about 45 minutes in length and is aimed at raising awareness of and preventing sexual abuse of any kind from occurring on campus.

The video provides a number of examples that help clearly define what sexual misconduct entails, covering topics from signs of an abusive relationship (demeaning names, explosive temper) to the steps to take when reporting the crime.

At the time the video was uploaded for the student body on Tuesday, Jan. 27, 519 members of the faculty and staff had already participated in some form of Title IX training.

“Every student will be assigned to the course and will be able to complete the training at their own leisure,” said Darren Fullerton, vice president of student affairs.

While the Dean of Students office targets a date near the end of February for students to have completed the training video – formally titled the “Sexual Misconduct Training Video” – the course will stay open for the entirety of the semester. This will allow students to go back and reference the video throughout the semester.

“It’s vitally important, so not only are we putting out a plea of please go through the information and make sure you are aware of both the student’s and University’s responsibilities, but we will also do some random selections and offer a select number of students who complete the training a prize,” said Fullerton.

By giving students an incentive for completing the training, Fullerton hopes it will increase participation.

The training available to students is very similar to the training received by faculty and staff, including a lot of the same facts and notes.

“The student training doesn’t only explain what the University’s procedures are, but if a student has a situation it provides them with the steps to follow… it also offers advice to help students avoid dangerous situations in the first place,” said Fullerton.

An in-person training for staff and faculty that do not have regular computer access will be offered in the upcoming weeks to ensure that employees without regular computer access see the video.