Preparation begins for Senate’s annual philanthropy event

Terri-Lynn Frasher | The Chart

KSN local news anchor Philip Mitchell interviews Scott Cragin, professor of business administration and marketing/management, during the St. Baldrick’s Day event March 12, 2014.

Even in 2015, there is still no cure for cancer. We have grown up seeing different initiatives take place for research, and there will be one such event taking place soon.

On Wednesday, March 25, from 6:30-9 p.m., Missouri Southern State University Student Senate will present the fifth annual St. Baldrick’s Event in Young Gym.

“The project started with the Public Relations Committee within the Student Senate five years ago,” said Brooklyn Lampe. “The committee wanted an organization that had a good cause but was not extremely well known. Thus, St. Baldrick’s was chosen.”

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation organizes communities to rally for childhood cancer research. In 2014, the foundation raised $38.4 million and has already raised nearly $8 million in 2015. The foundation strives to find a cure for cancer, but in the mean time, they offer a unique way to get involved — shaving your head to show support.

“The original idea for St. Baldrick’s came from three businessmen in New York City that decided to do something for others instead of the traditional St. Patrick’s Day celebration,” said Darren Fullerton, vice president for student affairs.

The event will be open to the public. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to involve anyone who can assist in spreading the word for this fundraiser.

“We enjoy seeing the amount of support that the Joplin area has for this event,” Lampe said.

“In our last four years, MSSU has raised over $19,660 to help conquer children’s cancer,” said Fullerton.

As it is a come and go event, attendance is hard to estimate. However, by the end of the evening, it is estimated that approximately 200 people get involved.

“The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is the largest funder of childhood cancer research grants, second only to the U.S. Government,” Fullerton added.

To sign up, visit https://www.stbaldricks.org/events/mypage/6077/2015.